Will Elected Officials Be Sued?

lawsuitI have to ask you folks in Vero Beach this question. Are the citizens taking to the streets protesting that the newly elected Council members are NOT their representatives? Being that I live in Ohio and all I am seeing on the TV is protesters all over the country saying that Donald Trump is not their President, I ask this question about Vero Beach?
All I can say is elections have consequences and sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. The country is a divided Nation, and that is a fact. As we can see by the looks of the electoral map, Donald Trump had the support of most of the area on the map and Hillary Clinton had the support of the more progressive and liberal heavily populated areas of the country like California and New York. And, we all know who won.

Vero Beach is a divided City and that seems to be a fact too. In fact, I see Vero as a microcosm of all that is happening in our divided Nation. The vote that comes from most of the precincts west of the river does not seem to matter much when the final count is taken because the three precincts on the Island seem to be the controlling factor. My guess is that those three precincts on the Island took sides with their neighbors who live in Indian River Shores thus voting in the candidates that were supported by the Shores.

It seems to come down to blue collar vs white collar – the working folks on the West side of the City against the wealthy beachsiders– etc. etc. And, in the case of the recent Vero Beach election, the folks who can well afford their electric bills have won this election with their candidates in order to try to squeeze the City for cheaper electric bills by giving FPL the ability to buy the Electric Utility at a price that would not be beneficial to the City. In fact, the experts say that if the City sells off part of the utility for the price that has been offered by FPL, the City will then be forced to raise its rates for the residents of the City – the very City that these folks have been elected to represent.

But, as I said, elections have consequences and it looks like the newly elected Council members, along with their cohort Harry Howle might be able to expedite this partial sale at the detriment of Vero Beach.

Vero Beach residents are not made up of a lot of simple minded college students protesting and election, so, what can they do if such a sale takes place by these newly elected officials. Hmmm. Maybe a law suit would be in order.

BTW, I keep getting e-mails from Charlie Wilson telling be that what I have to say and what I write about does not matter and that nobody cares to hear what I have to say anymore. Oh well, Charlie, this is my blog and I will say what I want to say as long as I want to. Ho Ho Ho.

Oh wait a minute. Wasn’t he the one who was sued because he was not a legitimate candidate when he was elected. Hmmm.

Personally, I think Sykes and Moss have the potential to do a lot worse to the City than what Charlie Wilson did and look what the courts did to him.

2. Savannah says:

Recall vote.

The new Council members will have to find a way around those confounded contracts and other legal issues. The previous ‘sell at any cost’ bunch weren’t able to accomplish their goals. Perhaps the City of Vero Beach should break away – call itself West Vero and let Vero Beach stay on the east side of the lagoon. They can purchase the City’s properties, including the Museum, dog park, Riverside Theater and Children’s Theater….along with maintain the parks & beaches over there. They can be serviced by their own police dept or be content with the County Sheriff’s Dept. We on the west side of the lagoon have a good mix of neighborhoods–not super expensive but family-friendly. Maybe we could all be happier.

Bea, What you have written about the divide between the island and the mainland is, I think, generally true. We will see how the recount turns out tomorrow, but at least based on the preliminary results, Randy Old actually did better than Lange Sykes on the barrier island – 1512 to 1443. Old also did better in Precinct 25, which votes at Our Savior Lutheran Church on 6th Avenue. There Old received 484 votes to Sykes’ 455. However, In precincts 19 (Trinity Episcopal), 23 (Unity Church), and 24 (Unitarian Universalist), Sykes received a total of 146 more votes than Old.

We cannot know for certain, but I suspect the print advertising, robo calls and mailers sent out by the political action committee funded by Indian River Shores residents and FPL made a difference in the vote. The fact that this was a general election worked as an advantage to the Sores and FPL. They were able to mislead many mainland voters who typically do not vote in municipal election into choosing candidates pledged to work against the best interests of the people of Vero Beach.

By the way, I occasionally also receive nasty notes from Wilson, usually written late at night, suggesting his thinking may have been lubricated. Keep doing what you are doing, and don’t let him bother you.

5. Curtis says:

I was thinking something similar to what Cathy was thinking – vote on making the island or Indian River Shores its own county. They do not deserve the name “Vero Beach.”

I understand everyone’s frustration, but let’s keep in mind island voters supported Old in larger number than they did Sykes. More importantly, resist the temptation to see all barrier island residents as sharing the same views and priorities as Indian River Shores leaders. Further, don’t assume everyone in the Shores supports the Town’s fixation on “freeing” itself from dependence on utility service provided by the City of Vero Beach. Vero Beach will be a better community if the island and the mainland continue to focus on what they have in common.

7. Curtis Carpenter says:

I have to disagree with “Curtis” (kind of odd). Indian River Shores doesn’t share the name Vero Beach, and the island is what it is.

I’m getting tired of the sour grapes nationally and locally. Nobody worked harder on Randy Old’s campaign than myself. I’m hoping he decides to run again next year and I also hope the new City Council thinks thoroughly about the decisions they’re about to make. They can have looooooong lasting implications.

8. Curtis says:

Well, Mr. Carpenter, the island shares the benefits of Vero being its neighbor, so much so that they made sure Sykes is a part of Vero’s government. Of course they’re not Vero, but half of the time they act like they know what’s best for us – or at least their leaders act that way. If the working class gets screwed over, what will the rich do? Probably move somewhere else and repeat the same process all over again.

9. Curtis says:

Sour grapes are the product of their environment. People aren’t happy and you can’t expect people to always fake happiness.

Does anyone know who Curtis is? he has wedged into this blog by posing as Curtis Carpenter and I am wondering if it is the same person or a fake. Just asking.

11. Curtis says:

I am not Curtis Carpenter and I am not a fake. I am somebody who coincidentally has the same first name. That is all.

12. Curtis says:

Plus I posted a comment before Mr. Carpenter posted anything. He responded to my first comment and then I replied to his comment.

13. Curtis says:

Look at everyone’s names on the posts; He posts his first and last name, I post only my first name. I can’t be blamed that my parents named me Curtis.

14. Curtis says:

Anyway, I don’t know if the other Curtis (Mr. Carpenter) is a frequent commenter on your website. If he is, maybe my replies caused the confusion, and I apologize.

Inside Vero had a link to your article on their Facebook page, and I decided to visit your blog, and I didn’t mean to cause any confusion.

Thank you Curtis for the clarification. Your comments are welcome. I was just curious.

Curtis Carpenter is a long time friend and occasional blogger on Bea-isms and someone who I respect. He is somewhat of a genius when it comes to predicting the vote count in elections.

He was spot on when it came to the vote count on Laura Moss in the City Election and that is quite amazing.

Again, Curtis, thanks for blogging on Bea-isms abd for cluing us in on your name.

I’m glad as hell I do not live in Vero Beach any longer. Do you know who the new Mayor is?

17. Curtis Carpenter says:

I’m not insinuating the other “Curtis” is a fake. As a matter of fact, I may have met this gentleman a couple of times, most recently at a Downtown Friday. He’s a very nice person if it’s the same guy I’m thinking of.

As far as the “Island” goes, Indian River Shores certainly played a part in getting two of their candidates elected. But my point was, and still is, that they are their own City and not technically associated with Vero Beach.

The part of the “island” that IS in Vero Beach actually voted for Laura Moss, Randy Old, and Lange Sykes.

I just wanted to clear up any confusion.