Is the Pee Pee Jay Gone With the Wind?

gone_with_the_windThe Press Journal, better known on Bea-isms as the Pee Pee Jay is moving to downtown Vero Beach. Hmmm. The Pee Pee Jay is calling themselves the largest local news-gathering team in Indian River County. LOL

If that is the case, then where have they been all these past few years? IMO, they have been sorely absent from IRC while they have been playing the “newspaper” role down there in the Stewart area. Just saying. Seems to me that they are going to try to get a foothold into the advertising market again in this County thus trying to act the part while actually they are downsizing. And, only in the world of spin are we told that downsizing is really a “coming home” party.

Speaking about the advertising market….I wonder if they will hire Russ Lemmon to head up IRC advertising because his new Lemmon Lines yellow paper is just that. It is an advertising vehicle with no substance. Trust me folks, it is not journalism.

So, what’s really going on with the Pee Pee Jay. The way I see It, Russ Lemmon is out the door and Vero gets a new and improved columnist who used to be an editor, Larry Reisman. Now, I’ll have to hand it to the Pee Pee Jay on that one. Reisman is a step above the Lemmonator so, big whoop. But, is it a step up for Reisman or a step down? Oh well, who cares?

So, what’s next? Now we will get a Sample of what a novice editorial page editor might possibly bring to the table because Eve Samples, former writer is now going to move into that slot. It is getting interesting.

Now that we have all been informed of the musical chairs taking place at the PPJ with personal, boss Bob is now trying to make you think the new location is a more convenient location and more user friendly but, in reality it will be a much more difficult location for parking and it will not be easy to just run in as was the case in the US 1 location.

So I ask you, is the once very convenient location on US1 going to be a parking nightmare in the new Downtown location in the Seminole Building in Downtown Vero Beach. And, I might add, if the Seminole Building that they speak of is on the corner of 14th Ave and 21st Street most people hereabouts call it the Pocahontas Building. I should know because that was the location of my store called Encore Furniture when I first moved to town. So, they say they want to be more local and yet they do not even know what the locals call their “new” location.

Yes, indeed, the sale of the Scripps newspapers seem to be having a ripple effect locally that perhaps was not anticipated. Or, maybe they just don’t want Benji and Schumann to get more of a foothold in the community than what they already are enjoying. And then there’s me….Blogger Bea Gardner. I think I like my role the best.

The blog I read in the PPJ about these changes with the local press say it best:
“The stately oaks roots are withered, the branches are bare of leaves which lay strewn decaying on the ground. Soon all will be whist away, a heritage Gone With The Wind.”

The move by PPJ will mean nothing as long as Bob is in charge, The PPJ has brought its slide on all by themselves. They continue to print FPL propaganda and try to pass it off as news, Nice try! They tote water for their political friends( those who support the FPL sale and Amy), and ignore the facts when it suits them, which is quite often. They love Salami, Baloney and Zero Man and make no bones about it in their cleverly worded articles. The PPJ is not Gone With The Wind, but it is full of hot air.

We’ll see where the PJ team finally settles in downtown. Bob Brunjes either got the address or the name of the building wrong. He can be forgiven. After all, he lives in Jupiter Farms.

Given the Press Journal “brain trust’s” consistent opposition to addressing the Twin Pair issues in any meaningful way, wouldn’t it be ironic if they were to move into the Seminole Building on 20th Street. I wonder how they will feel about all that traffic speeding by their front door at 50 plus miles an hour.

My thoughts exactly Mark. Of late, when you go to the PJ on US1 the whole parking lot is available for whatever and in the new location, wherever that might be, I’m sure it will be impossible to park. So much for downsizing.

They are two different buildings on opposite corners. Pocahontas is on the north west side of 21st Street Seminole is on the southeast corner.

• Mark Schumann says:

And what is the name of the building on the south side of 20th Street, just west of Scott’s sporting goods? That looked to me like the building pictured along with Bob’s column.

• Mark Schumann says:

Well, I looked again at the picture accompanying Bob’s column. It is, in fact, the old Seminole Building, and it is located on the corner of 14th Avenue and 21st Street. My apologies.

As disappointing as the Scripps team can be at times, the success of the Press Journal is important to the community. Despite the downsizing Bob seeks to minimize, the Press Journal is still the largest news gathering organization in Indian River County. Like all newspaper executives, the Scripps team is trying to develop a sustainable business model in an industry that has been turned upside down by the digital revolution.

Bloggers can play a useful role, but blogs are no substitute for a community newspaper. A monthly news magazine like Inside Indian River can offer a different perspective and a balance, or perhaps a counterbalancing bias of its own, but a monthly periodical is no substitute for a weekly or daily community newspaper, or for a full-service, online news site. TCPalm.com may not be all one would want it to be, but let’s face it, InsideIndianRiver.com, Bea-isms.com and VeroNews.com do not offer the breadth of information available on TCPalm.com.

Let’s hopes Bob’s confidence in the prospects for the Press Journal are not misplaced. I, for one, am looking forward to more of Larry Reisman’s reporting and commentary focused on Vero Beach and Indian River County.

Mark, Thanks for the insight and I am sure you are correct but…..I just wish they would be more of a reporting source than an opinion source.

As Greyhound says, leave the driving to us…I say, leave the opinions to us and let the PPJ do the reporting. Just saying.

I see you do have more faith in LR than do I but time will tell. I tend to agree with Cedric…he will write the way boss Bob wants him to write and I suppose we will see even more negative stuff regarding the City Council, especially when it comes to the Electric Issue.

The PPJ will never let up until the Vero Beach Electric Utility is in the hands of FPL.

And, since that just might be the case it will always give Bea-isms something to write about.

6. peter gorry says:

Without the PJ local advertisers,obits and required official public/community announcements would be difficult to circulate. Further, many seniors prefer print,

You’re right Peter. I know a lot of seniors who do not do the internet as they say so therefore they do not do Bea-isms. I feel sorry for them.

I actually gave up on the printed paper and just read TCPalm. I got tired of filling up my recycle bin with unread papers.

I prefer to read on line and keep my hands and fingers clean from ink but that is me.

8. peter gorry says:

Some of us quirky near octanarigans still enjoy doing the NYT crossword, are not quite fastidious about the ink {probably a guy thing} and better process with written word in hand rather than the new fangled electronic hyper space.

Happy Holidays and a Merry Christmas and Hanukkah to all.

Computer screen lighting is hard on our eyes. Miss having source for the really local news. Someone on our street was taken to a hospital or rehab back in November–or maybe October. We didn’t learn of his demise until a week afterwards–in December. Had I not looked up his name on line, wouldn’t have known. Having local sports (friend’s daughter is basketball player), those obits, and other tidbits of local news….important. If we had a newspaper that offered the local news and left the opinions on the editorial page, I’d consider subscribing again. Society/charity events news–these don’t tell me anything, besides how generous our county’s residents are. Already knew that.

• peter gorry says:

CK

Left out my fervor following local sport teams. {our son was recently Lacrosse coach at John Carroll}. I’m sorta a geek interested in both college and pros as well and most days turn to the Sports section first.Then scan weather on its back page to see how my kids in NJ, KS,NM, NY and Cuba are faring.

Politics,and editorial perspective aside {even a clock is right two times a day per Mark Twain}I like having the PJ. .

Ok – I get it. Most of us at this stage and age in our lives still enjoy a newspaper in our hands. With me it was an all day process. Glance at the headlines, check out the coupons, do crossword puzzle, try to do the NY times crossword puzzle, read letters to the editor, and opinion page and back to the headlines for a closer look. Yep, let’s hope the new and improved Pee Pee Jay is worth the time and money that it will cost us.

Having said all of this, I think I will still go to the 63 rag, and the new and improved InsideIndianRiver and as a last resort TCPalm and hopefully I will be a well rounded blogger with all this ammunition.

I tried the 32963 today for the first time in a while. I read Lisa Zahner’s
    piece regarding the electric issue.
    I won’t be picking it up again for a while. News, no. Facts, no. Divisive, yes.
    I suppose that was the intent. If so, then she is a success at what she does. But can she sleep.